1.31.2003

I was asked by a friend on the PMS newsgroup last night to provide him with some suggestions from the Pat Metheny discography. So, I thought about it and they are as follows:

�"Bright Size Life" (1975) - Metheny's first studio album, featuring �ber-bassist Jaco Pastorius (R.I.P., 1951-1987)
�"New Chautauqua" (1977, I think)
�"Pat Metheny Group"* (1978) - one of my three favorite albums of his, ever...
�"American Garage"* (1980)
�"As Falls Witchita... So Falls Wichita Falls" (1980) - another fave... in a word, awesome...
�"80/81" (1980) - an incredible double live disc with drummer Jack DeJohnette, Dewey Redmon, Charlie Haden, and Michael Brecker
�"Offramp"* (1981)
�"First Circle"* (1984) - the third of my all-timers and the first one I personally owned on vinyl...
�"Song X" (1987) - with Jazz pioneer/saxophonist Ornette Coleman
(at this point in time, Metheny kind of "weirded out" into this "Cuban/Mediterranean thing" for a few albums that I, honestly, could not get into, whatsoever... not that there's anything wrong with that style of music, at all, but from him, i just wasn't buying it...)
�"I Can See Your House From Here" (1993) - With guitarist John Scofield
�"Imaginary Day"* (1997)
�"Jim Hall & Pat Metheny" (1999) - Jim Hall is a Cleveland guitarist and is equally as phenomenal.
�"Trio 99/00" (2000)
�"Trio Live" (2000)
�"Speaking of Now"* (2002)
***Oddly, most online CD sites fail to discern between "Pat Metheny" albums and "Pat Metheny Group" albums, choosing to lump them all together as "Pat Metheny" recordings (which I guess they ARE, but...). All "PMG" albums are so labelled on their respective covers (and I have marked the "PMG" albums in my list with an asterik).

Listening to: Jeff Buckley - "The Peyote Radio Theater" (1994) (from "The Grace EPs" collection (2002))