11.15.2004

Ashlee Simpson: My Two Cents

I had sorta almost forgot about it all, until an Evanescence song sparked my memory.

Ashlee Simpson has to feel about two inches tall, at this point, doncha think? I mean, first, to actually get busted on live TV lip-synching, then to turn around and tell about fourteen different lies about it... Everything from "my band played the wrong song" (how does that excuse a vocal track starting to play overtop of the music), to "I have acid reflux and it makes me lose my voice" (which as a sufferrer of insane amounts of heartburn/acid reflux, it does a lot of shit to ya, but make ya lose your voice? nah) to "my dad made me" (which who could really blame him, 'cause his daughter's voice licks smelly asses). Why couldn't she just come clean and tell everyone that she's just not talented? I've seen a couple episodes of that Mtv show-thing she did and it was as clear as the crooked nose on her face that she's not remotely talented. Her sister Jessica is barely talented, herself, but I don't think a lot of people care... although to be honest, her less-than-average intelligence tends to make any physical upswing she might have pretty irrelevant. But at least she can sorta sing, y'know? Ashlee, on the other hand, is riding on her sister's coattails (conveniently placed on said tails by her money-grubbing family), and falling off them at every opportunity.

Yes, tons of "musicians" use backing tracks when they play live (the aforementioned Evanescence, KISS, etc.) which are more or less accompaniments to the live music/singing that's being done (in an effort to make the live sound comparable to the album)... a handful of people actually fake their way through music live, or sing along to tracks of themselves (did anyone catch Eminem doing just that on Saturday Night Live the week after Ashlee Simpson?), like Britney Spears and Janet Jackson... mainly pop acts... the only other person I can think of offhand in the rock world that fakes their way through music live besides Ashlee Simpson is Kelly Osbourne (who actually pulls more of an Eminem (and her father) kind of thing and sings along to a better track of herself singing, in an attempt to sound better)... and... well, go figure - they both suck in massive quantities of suckdom.

Listening to: Queens of the Stone Age - "R" (2000)