2.21.2004

Iron Maiden - Still Rockin' After All These Years


I was flipping through the channels last night after talking to my friend Duncan in North Carolina, and I came across "Back Yard Videos," a music video show produced by CSU (Colorado State University). I've caught it a few times in the past, but had forgotten that it's an every Friday night thing. While the production is pretty stank and the hosts (which vary from week to week) both suck and blow, the video selection isn't all that bad... Actually better than I've seen from most of the major-market music networks... The do pick nu-metal and rap-metal poseur vids here and there and try to tout them as "killah," but you'll have that, I suppose.
Anyhow, so Iron Maiden's video for "Rainmaker" comes on... The last Maiden album I owned, or gave a shit about, was Live After Death. I still to this day listen to Powerslave, Piece of Mind, and Number of the Beast, but I've heard other stuff after Live after Death and I didn't really care much for it... But I guess the killer lineup from the '80s has reunited, 'cause I saw them all in this video (well, I couldn't really tell if the one guitarist was Adrian Smith or that Jannick Gers fella that replaced him in the early '90s, but it looked like Smith, anyway). Anyhow, without babbling on too much about it, it was actually a really wicked piece of Maiden-dom... harking back to the good ol' days, even...
What made the evening even better was the fact that after "Rainmaker," it was Glassjaw with "Cosmopolitan Blood Loss," then A Perfect Circle's "Judith." Heck of a good set of videos...
So, hats off to "Back Yard Videos." All you need are some hosts with personalities a little more palatteable than the "piece of wet cardboard" hosts they have, now, and it will be even better.


Listening to: Frank Zappa - "Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch"