3.22.2005

Another List, Another Pile of Shit...

British Magazine Q has released its list of the "100 Greatest Guitar Tracks Ever."

I haven't seen the article but if this top ten is any indication, I'm not so sure I want to:

1) 'Purple Haze' - JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE (1967)
2) 'Jumpin' Jack Flash' - THE ROLLING STONES (1968)
3) 'Whole Lotta Love' - LED ZEPPELIN (1969)
4) 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' - NIRVANA (1991)
5) 'Helter Skelter' - THE BREATLES (1968)
6) 'Sweet Child O'Mine' - GUNS N' ROSE (1987)
7) 'Won't Get Fooled Again' - THE WHO (1971)
8) 'Seven Army Nation' - THE WHITE STRIPES (2003)
9) 'You Really Got Me' - THE KINKS (1964)
10) 'I Am The Resurrection' - THE STONE ROSES (1989)


Oh, man. Well, okay... I can see how several of these songs are viewed as "guitar tracks." I can see a few of them in the top ten, I guess. You can't knock Hendrix, can ya (even if I might pick a different song)? And Led Zeppelin (again, I would proabably pick four or five other Zep tunes that are more "guitar tracks" to me). But Stone Roses??? And that WHITE STRIPES song??? In the top ten? ummmyeahright. In the top thousand, maybe...

Just more proof that editors of magazines have incredibly poor taste/judgement... or they're as easily influenced as the sheep they tend to in the fields. They are also possibly in a state of confusion regarding what a "guitar song" is, as well.

(you can read what I thought of Rolling Stone's "Top 100 Guitarists Ever" here)


Listening to: Bowie